
......and what an art it truly is!! In my last post spoke about the tour that I was about to begin and I got into a small part of what is involved in being tour manager & FOH tech. What I didn't speak about was what is frequently the best part of the job, and that is the show. It's no wonder why I always cut a major price break on shows where I just have to show up and mix. Especially shows that I enjoy mixing, which is most of them. The joy of mixing a show without any of the hassles and responsibilities of being the tour manager is a beautiful thing. And although this tour has entailed a lot of work on my part, the show makes it all worthwhile.
First, let me discuss the genius of Andrew Burashko. We're talking about a man who made his debut with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra at 17. Artists like him come around only so often, one of those rare talents who immerse themselves completely in their art. The man lives the music. The Art Of Time Ensemble is his creation and his vision. A group who seek to push classical music forward through collaboration and innovation. Probably the best known of the AOT's shows is the Songbook Series. This is the series where they collaborate with different well known vocalists. The vocalist selects contemporary songs that he/she loves and then these songs are sent to some of the best arrangers around. The songs are then arranged for the ensemble's instrumentation. The result is some on the most thoughtful, innovative and emotionally rich music I've heard in quite some time.
Then there's the ensemble; some of the best musicians in the country. Players who are completely dedicated to their craft and to the advancement of their art. On top of all that, they are also some of the coolest people I've met during my career. Ben Bowman; very talented, poised and dedicated. Amy Laing; beautiful, graceful and such a warm personality. Joe Phillips; super cool, laid back and easy going. Rob Piltch; smooth, cool and friendly. Last but not least, Robert Carli who is not only an amazing musician, crazy funny and down to earth. But he also arranged some of the tunes they are performing.
And still yet there is the incredibly charismatic Steven Page. First of all he is an awesome vocalist. I know there are those out there who have doubts, but believe me folks, even after only 2 rehearsals and 3 shows of some very critical listening, I can attest to his great vocal talent.
Taking in this show each night has been a new adventure every time an incredible experience for which I am very grateful.
Song Of The Day
Today's song comes from my East Coast homeboys The Trews. Off their 2005 album "Den Of Theives" the song is "Poor Old Broken Hearted Me". Awesome tune, great playing and kickin vocals. You can't go wrong with The Trews and this songs just shows everything I love about them.
No comments:
Post a Comment